Next time you go to the supermarket, please do not buy any bottle of barbecue sauce !!
The barbecue sauce tastes so much better when it is homemade! Moreover you will be able to adjust the quantities to your own taste and get your very own barbecue sauce recipe!
Try this Bourbon barbecue sauce for your next chicken wings party and I am sure you won’t be disappointed.
See full Bourbon barbecue sauce recipe below
Bourbon Barbecue Sauce
- 200 g brown sugar (1 cup)
- 200 g ketchup (1 cup)
- 4 tbsp worcester sauce
- 1 tsp chipotle tabasco (or more if you like it spicy)
- 3 tsp mustard English or French mustard
- 2 units oranges
- 200 ml apple juice (about 3/4 of a cup).
- 100 ml bourbon (a bit less than 1/2 cup)
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tsp smoke powder / liquid (optional - adjust to your taste)
- Get the juice of the 2 oranges.
- In a saucepan put all the ingredients (except the smoke) for the barbecue sauce together.
- Mix well with a whisk.
- On a medium heat, bring to a boil and cook the sauce whisking continously until you get a sticky , silk and shiny texture. It might take a little while to get to the right texture. To see if you have the right thickness, take a spoon, dip it in the sauce... the sauce should coat the back of the spoon and leave a clear mark when swipping your finger across.
- Add the smoke powder / liquid until you get the smoky flavour you like.