At first this spicy orange chicken wings recipe may seem a bit daring but it is really worth to try it.
The result is sweet, spicy and a bit bitter at the same time. The texture is great thanks to the oven fried wings and the chinese orange sauce will pleased everyone who loves asian flavors.
As most of the chicken wings recipes, this one is also very simple to do. If you do not have the time to fry your chicken in the oven, just do it in the deep fryer, it will be a bit less heathy but you will finish much quicker! Ready for a good treat?
See the full spicy orange chicken wings recipe below!
Spicy orange glazed chicken wings
Ingredients for the oven fried chicken wings
- 12 units chicken wings
- 2 tbsp chilli sauce (such as Frank's RedHot sauce)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 0.5 cup flour (about 60g)
- salt & pepper
Ingredients for the chinese orange sauce
- 0.5 cup orange jam (about 150g / Not too bitter)
- 2 tbsp chili paste
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root (grated)
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
Instructions for the fried wings
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees farenheit / 200 degrees celsius
- Trim and separate the 12 chicken wings and throw the tips. You will then have 24 pieces of chicken.
- Put the wings in a large bowl and then add the salt, pepper, chili sauce and oil. Mix well
- Take a plastic bag. Put the flour in the bag and then the chicken wings. Mix well to coat all the chicken wings with flour.
- On a baking sheet, put some tin foil and lay the chicken wings in one layer.
- Bake in the hot oven for 30 min. At this stage the chicken wings will look pretty ugly but don't worry...
- Flip each wings so that the other side can bake. Put back in the oven for an additional 30 minutes.
Instructions for the chinese orange sauce
- While the chicken wings are cooking, take a pan and add the jam.
- Add the rice vinegar, the hoisin sauce, the ginger, the soy sauce and the chili sauce into the pan and mix well
- Put the pan on a medium heat and bring the sauce to a boil
- Simmer for about 5 minutes or until you get a slightly thick sauce. When you dip your spoon in the orange sauce you should be abe to trace a line that doesn't disappear with your finger.
- Keep the sauce warm until the chicken wings are cooked
Final instructions to serve
- In a small pan without any oil, grill the sesame seeds on low/medium heat. Be careful not to burn them!
- Put the chicken wings in a big bowl and pour the sauce over it and most of the toasted sesame seeds. Mix well to coat all the chicken wings.
- Serve adding the remaining sesame seeds on the top.