Crispy, juicy, full of flavors….this is what you will find in this vietnamese chicken spring rolls recipe.
Yes, it does take a little bit of time to prepare this recipe especially because the wrapping is the most time consuming task but you can decide to make big batch of spring rolls and freeze them before cooking, so you can enjoy this wonderful vietnamese recipe any other day.
The effort is really worth it, those chicken spring rolls are so much better than any others you could buy at the supermarket!
See the full vietnamese chicken spring roll recipe below!
Vietnamese chicken spring rolls
For the spring rolls filling
- 1,3 pounds ground chicken breast (about 600 g)
- 1 large carrot
- 1 unit oignon
- 1 clove garlic
- 12 units dried mushrooms
- 1,6 ounces rice vermicelli (about 45g )
- 3 tbs fresh cilantro / coriander (about 45g - more or less to taste)
- 1 tbs fresh mint (about 15g - more or less to taste)
- 1 unit chili pepper (optional)
- 1 unit egg
- salt & pepper
To serve the spring rolls
- 3 tbs fish sauce
- 3 tbs water
- 1 unit lime
- 1 clove garlic
- 25 units round rice paper ( 7 inches diameter or a bit larger - about 16 cm )
- 25 leaves lettuce
- 1 tbs sugar (optional but helps to give color)
- fresh mint leaves
- vegetable oil for frying
Make the filling for the spring rolls
- In a large bowl, put the dried mushrooms and the rice vermicelli. Cover with warm water and wait for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start the filling : if you bought whole chicken breasts, put them in the food processor and ground them to obtain a chicken paste.
- Grate the carrot.
- Finely chop the garlic, oignon, coriander, fresh mint and chili (optional).
- Put all the chicken, carrot, garlic, oignon and herbs in a bowl.
- Take the mushrooms out of the water and press them in your hands to remove excess water. Cut them in small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Take the rice vermicelli from the water and remove excess water. Cut them in 1 inch / 2.5 cm pieces. Add to the bowl.
- Add a little bit of salt (not too much as the dipping sauce is salty) and pepper to taste.
- Add the egg.
- Mix well all the ingredients with your hands.
Wrap the chicken spring rolls
- Prepare a large bowl with warm water (not boiling) and the sugar.
- Prepare 2 wet kitchen towels: put 1 on your prep table and the other one on a plate. You will use the first one to roll the chicken spring rolls and the second to keep the prepared rolls before frying.
- Take a rice paper and dip it in the bowl of warm water for 5 seconds. Put the wet rice paper on your wet kitchen cloth. Repeat the same process. You should have 2 rice paper on the kitchen towel.
- With wet hands take a bit of the filling and try to form a "sausage" of about 3 inches / 8 cm.
- Put the filling on the top of a rice paper and start to roll.
- When you arrive in the middle of the rice paper, flip the sides of the wrapper.
- Continue to roll to encase the filling.
- Put the spring roll on the plate with the second wet cloth.
- Take another rice paper, put it in the water for 5 seconds and leave it on your wet cloth. Repeat the folding process using the rice paper you had prepared at the start.
Prepare the sauce
- Mix the fish sauce with the water
- Add the crushed garlic
- Add the juice of the lime
Fry the chicken spring rolls
- In a large pan, heat the oil.
- Deep fry the rolls for about 4-5 minutes or until golden. Cook in various batches and make sure that the rolls are not touching one another.
- Put the rolls on a plate with kitchen paper to absord the excess oil.
- Serve with the lettuce leaves, fresh mint and the sauce.